"[F]aculty are far more complicit"
Cooper Union's shameless trustees
A secret transcript of one of their meetings.
Standardized tests about standardized tests
Common sense on the Chicago school closings
No, the Baumol effect is not the cause of price increases
MOOC professors claim no responsibility for how
How British elites are trained to think
Why austerity kills (video)
Networks and undead institutions (audio)
The new newest left and the organization of sadness
Ethnicity in the Early Abbasid Period
Were British Sailors Really British?
The Russian Jew, an Azerbaijani prince
Arab Idol and Policing Identities
"This Place Should Have Been Iran"
"Obscurity didn’t hinder Omar Souleyman"
The cockerel-fighter from Punjab
Cairo's working-class belly dancers
In Our Time on Claude Lévi-Strauss
Goa's young "anti-India" radicals
The Curious Case of Modernity and Plastic Bags
Indian Companies “Land Grabbing” in Africa?
Tony Palmer's 1983 film about Wagner
The Political Economy of 'My Little Pony'
What kind of Asian are you?
The Racial Politics of Atheism
(And an excerpt from the new book by the author)
What our perceptions of Beyoncé's feminism say about us?
Racism Is at Play in Immigrant's Poor Health Outcomes
T.R.M. Howard: When a Black abortion provider was featured on the cover of JET magazine
Young, Depressed, and Of Color
A science experiment gone wrong doesn't make me a criminal
Exercise and Depression
Intersex surgeries and the limits of certainty
Feminism for only some women, some of the time?
"...a real sense of not just disgust, but a poisonous, malignant contempt."
- “When Zionism started…it would espouse all these anti-Jewish ideas, including scientific anti-Semitism as valid.”
- “East Asians have dark hair and eat with chopsticks. But there is no causal relationship.”
- “For his 72nd birthday, a map of every street, town, and city Dylan has ever sung about.”
- “Pretend the stubble becomes hipster-cool when it’s established my name’s Deepak, not Bilal.”
- “Lest we forget, Keynes was Director of the Eugenics Society”
- “‘Bourgeois revolution’ is not a term we hear much these days”
- “using a house in a nomadic way”
- Kicking Ass in a Corset
- “Perhaps we need to stop projecting our own labor markets and biases and low opinions of our own self-control onto the poor, and show them the money.”
- “Throughout the developed world, for example, self-harm is now the leading cause of death for people 15 to 49, surpassing all cancers and heart disease.”
- “these rapid social changes have their greatest effect on China’s 110 million ethnic minority residents”
- NYPD data: Whites much more likely to be carrying drugs and guns than minorities
- “Being an Indian usually came with one of two things: benefit or despair. More often, it came with both at once.”
- The Creator of the GIF Says It’s Pronounced JIF. He Is Wrong.
- The 5 Ugly Lessons Hiding in Every Superhero Movie
- Immigrants’ health slips the longer they live in U.S.
- Artist raises privacy issues by photographing neighbors through their windows. (The photos.)
- “The signs that American education is increasingly polarized into two nations are clear”
Bureaucratics: A Global Portrait of Red Tape
“disappeared like someone running into the woods.”
Why Aren’t There More Storm Cellars in Oklahoma?
"when a car bomb explodes in a market in a border town.”
“How Black the Story of Coffee, How Bitter the Tale of Love”
Central Asia, with delightfully outlandish captions by
“I don’t want to be a mascot. Neither, I suspect..."
Screw You Sideways, Vice Magazine
"...that sets out to trace the secret history of the Middle East.”
Letter from Delhi: A Bookstore of Safety
Formerly Incarcerated Off Food Benefits
Mike Kennedy on photography and ethnography
“What, exactly, does a post-purity sexual ethic look like?”
An Indigenous Map of America
read a map of the San Andreas Fault like a musical score
Architecture, xenophobia, inequality, and riots in Sweden.
Bhaskar Sunkara sings Love Me, I'm a Liberal
"custodians, cooks, administrative assistants, and students"
“When so many political debates seem to unfold 'fact-free?'”
Reflections on a year of translating the Printemps Érable.
What it means to imagine a fake Rob Ford crack video.
"the right to know which person knitted your sweater."
How counterterrorism units were used to suppress Occupy.
Seventy-three whole words on a "historic moment."
When beavers were fish.
“the top 1% of Americansowned 35% of all stock”
Compliance in a realm of lawlessness; the nowhere company exacerbates global poverty.
How the superrich get superduper rich; another IRS scandal.
How the bankers stay out of jail.
How dissent got treated like terror [foreshadowed here].
Journalism will die unless...
Golden fetters; South African mines becoming ungovernable.
The financialization of art and accumulation.
Just stay home, and don't have kids.
Fourth Amendment history lesson.
"Social Welfare" bizarrerie; an awesome investment.
The People's Terms of Service.
"to short Facebook stock on day one."