- A detailed background on Narendra Modi and his rise to power before he became the presumptive PM.?
- Post election summing up of what led to the massive victory of Modi and the BJP.?
- The role of violence in Indian politics and the violence of 1984 and 2002 which are cited by those you support Modi and those who oppose him.
- Speculative alternative history of what would happen if Modi won. The reality is turning out to be worse.
- The transformation of Narendra Modi to front runner?.?
- Why are otherwise bright people flocking to Modi?
- Modi's Brahmanical creds. A good insight into how caste has played into the equation
- The able lieutenants who bring in the votes one communal conflagration at a time.
- Saffron terrorist Swami Aseemanand
- Intellectuals capitulation to Modi
- What happens if you oppose Modi
- The rise of Hindutva politics has largely been funded by NRIs especially post Babri masjid.
- How the failure of the Congress is tied to the Nehru Gandhi family.?
- Modinomics: do Narendra Modi's economic claims add up?
Some other things that people on my timeline suggested for reading about the Indian Election:
- The Modi Generation
- Rushdie Explains India
- India and Israel look to deepen ties following victory of the Hindu right
- The promise, and peril, of Modi’s mandate
- So Who Has Won the Election?
- An Anti-Congress Wave in India Propels the Hindu Right to Power
- Congratulations to the class of 2014, the most indebted ever!
- On Robert Birgeneau's commencement address and free speech
- "[O]ne effect of state schools increasing their number of wealthy out-of-state students is that the entire campus culture is reshaped by class hierarchies."
- Race, disability, and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Student debtors slide deeper into peonage
- College is a promise the economy doesn't keep
- "As a professor who teaches and serves as a mentor…I’m concerned with how we teach people to deal with…the bad behavior of their colleagues in the workplace."
- The Wal-Mart Department of Education Reform
- Spinning the idea of the university as we know it
- Watch what you say at the University of Kansas
- University presses under fire
- Who gets to graduate?
- "Rapists on campus"
- Five myths about Brown v. Board of Education
- Five liberal tendencies that plagued Occupy
- ICU/UCB: Mapping Oakland's surveillance cameras
- Cecily McMillan and the false security of livestreaming
- Pain and rage: EZLN communique on the murder of a Zapatista teacher
The Chipotle Cup Desk:
The Vivian Maier desk:
The celebrity profile desk:
- Alex Trebek: Last King of the American Middlebrow
- & let's revisit Jada Yuan's brilliant profile of Stevie Nicks, just 'cause we can!
The Internet Age desk:
- The Zionist Expedition to East Africa, 1905
- Poles In Persia (1943)
- South Asian migration to Britain in the 1950s
- Hijras and the British imperial state in India
- The Crypto-Christians of Trabzon
- The politics of archaeology in Lebanon
- Resistance: My Life for Lebanon
- The Panopticon: A peek into Lebanese prisons
- "Uninhabitable" African and Asian cities
- British World War II propaganda in Persian
- The dissemination of legal knowledge in British India
- Sanskrit, Culture & Power in Premodern India
- The last of Delhi's calligraphers
- Lakmé/Lakme, from the opera to the cosmetics
- The history of the suitcase
- The history of Nutella
- "It is understood the unusual nesting place was picked by the queen bee, who landed there first and was quickly followed by her devoted colony."
- "When you look down from an airplane,” Chuck D said in Beirut, “you don’t see any letters down there.”
- "The family eats one meal a day, and they try to do it together...Chicken and meat are extremely rare."
- "Me: Was it that bad? Me: Fuck you."
- "We would be terrible. We would lose every time. But we’d really figure out some important shit about suffering."
- "Like I want my face on FBI's top 12 most wanted. Because that means I'm doing something right."
- Is Lebanon Winning Against Al-Qaeda? "April 2014 was the first month to witness no explosion since October 2013."
- "That’s my corporate plan. Sexting is the future."
- “I’m not the Man — I’m just a man. I’m just a cowboy. I’m just one dude that’s doing something special."
- "I haven't been down the mountain in six months..It's all about the digging the work, the search."
- "Ninety seconds later, it was over. And now, Westbrook knew, his career was too."
- Turkey Coalmine Disaster: Accident or Murder?
- "Coal is Turkey’s most exploited indigenous source of energy."
- Arabs in Yiwu, Confucius in East Beirut
- Japanese Namazu-e (earthquake-causing-catfish) Prints
- “The men in my life noticed my body was changing before I did.”
- Queer Questions
- Vijay Iyer on “Complicity With Excess”
- "But as Naji discovered, the US government can do more than land you in prison overseas."
- Kabir Tambar on “The Reckoning of Pluralism”
- The End of Rain as We Know It
- We Kill People Based on Metadata
- “This film is Maier’s punishment for the crime of violating a social media ethos that had yet to become dominant.”
- Editing While Female
- Artists of the Palestinian Revolution
- Punishment in the Afterlife: An Eastern Turki Manuscript
- On Nicholas Wade: “an important feature of a plausibility argument is plausibility.”
- An Earthquake Live at the Symphony
- We've gone beyond an economy of exclusion to an economy of expulsion.
- The robots aren't going to save us, and may be making the laws.
- Nanotechnology and Military Attacks on Photosynthesis.
- Please forgive us, plants.
- Memez in the trap.
- The right to the city.
- Billionaires with drone movies.
- Digital Taylorism in the WorkPlaceOpticon.
- Google, you're a data processor, not a li'l ole newspaper.
- The left on Piketty: Callinicos, Harvey.
- Let them eat fat; GDP rises, calories fall in India.
- Oculus Rift for chickens, and to reduce human costs.
- Maker Faire as a politics of fantasy.