- “The prison yard is broken down into five distinct racial categories and segregation is strictly enforced.”
- Number of Names on Terrorism Suspect Database Jumps to 875,000
- “In the interest of understanding New York and the New York Times’ relationship with Williamsburg.”
- “your NSF grant…was targeted at two House science committee hearings yesterday”
- The class struggle, in one chart.
- NY Police Commissioner: We don’t stop-and-frisk enough black people
- The MOOC Universe: Chart describes the players and the money flows
- “Does your style become stagnant under the pressure of bourgeois imperialist intervention?”
- “wads of American dollars packed into suitcases… dropped off every month or so at the offices of Afghanistan’s president”
- “what makes Taiwanese fiction so special”?
- Pick Your Dystopia
- The Melancholy
- The Real Problems With Psychiatry
- Our Radical Future: Cults, Utopias and Rebellions of the 1890s
- "Predictably they tried to frame me as a 'victim of trolls'”
- Pride and Shame
- nyc(1) / nyc(2) / nyc(3)
- An Open Letter to Rakhi Kumar, Beyonce-Hater
- My Hair Trauma
- Ellis Act evictions in San Francisco, 1997-2013 (SF Tenants Union on the Ellis Act)
- A Book Bloc genealogy
- For Their Eyes Only: The Commercialization of Digital Spying
- The Prophets of Oak Ridge
- The Incomplete, True, Authentic and Wonderful History of May Day
- Chiquita Banana Jingle
- New Atheism, fix your face.
- "like Bakhtin’s carnival, the Boston Marathon is a cyclical event"
- "What will we do as these ruin-spaces pile up, unable to be destroyed because of their enforced temporality as preserved agedness?"
- "Wikipedia’s openness hardly makes it perfect, or somehow, inherently better than the New York Times"
- “Why does our dignity depend on our being scientifically inexplicable?”
- "the poet who remains our most stubbornly libidinal subject, at odds with the fleshless world"
- "The Dove campaign exploits women’s beauty-related self-esteem for its own purposes"
- "if what we truly care about most is fashion and fucking, we will find ourselves dismissed"
- "attorneys have taken to Yelp to complain about prison procedures that delay or prevent them from seeing clients"
- "The nostalgia that attracts a fan to “Garden State” is of a particular Internet variety"
- "Next, simply disassemble the computer, shove the fragments back into those clams, harvest the clams, and puree them into a thick slurry in your home blender"
- "there's a lot of "reality" in the virtual, and a lot of "virtual" in our reality"
- "this is a new way of expression that does not have a direct correlate offline"
- "Teens are the ideal tweeters because they are never happy and always interesting"
- "the cell phone’s ability to signify status has given three beeps and vanished like a dropped call"
- "they buy up thousands of dollars in pizza currency & then trade it for Bitcoin currency"
- "Of all the millions of dollars of purloined bitcoin that’s floating around out there, not one Satoshi of it has been spent"
- lisafrankfurtschool.tumblr.com cosmarxpolitan.tumblr.com
- The sad and rich life and death of Roman Blum
- What's wrong with stop and frisk, in charts.
- Militarized, privatized security for Brazil's sports spectacles.
- Right-wing Japanese legislators looking to amend the constitution.
- 127 years after 35,000 Chicagoans struck to demand the eight hour day, it's under attack again.
- May Day and the Federal Government's Use of Grand Juries as Political Counterintelligence
- Reflections on last Sunday's Workers' Memorial Day.
- Who chose what for whom in Bangladesh's garment factories?
- Bangladesh needs unions and standards, not boycotts.
- The problem with social auditing.
- Canada's Conservatives attack public broadcasting, but not the way you expect.
- One way to deal with fascists. (And another, less polite, way.)
- Newspaper embroidery.
- Bartleby in the University of California: The social life of disobedience
- Despite apologies from racist frat, black students at UC Irvine stick to demands
- Against civility: Dartmouth and the logic of administrative discourse
- "I would like to hope that as you copied and pasted text for your message to us from one of hundreds of similar messages sent out over the years, you stopped to really think about the ways in which your failure to act effectively is in itself a violence."
- An open letter to Professor Michael Sandel from the philosophy department at San Jose State University
- The roots of Cooper Union's restructuring is a $175 million capital project funded by debt
- A brief history of (CUNY) time: Recent radical university organizing in NYC
- Cracks in the student loan bubble
- What is called grading? On the ontological structure of academia
- On quitting
- No rich child left behind
- A "generation without fear" demands free education in Chile
- Sexual violence and neoliberalism
- "What middle class first and foremost means is, if you see a policeman, do you feel safer, or do you feel less safe?"
- Fireworks: A new Bay Area anarchist news magazine
- The Missionary Movement to "Save" Black Babies
- White Lady Feminism, Christian Blogging, and the Worst of Both Worlds
- A Gay Zulu Wedding and the Danger of a Single LGBTI African Story
- The Man Of Steel Trailer And Fans’ Super-Xenophobia
- Breaking the Gender Covenant
"We need to create ‘safe’ environments for children of color, especially Black children, to study and pursue STEM."
The Case Around Fla, Teen Kiera Wilmot is Part of a Bigger, More Disturbing Pattern
Keira Wilmot and Being a Smart Black Girl
The effects of unchecked criminalization
Brittney Griner and the Quiet Queering of Professional Sports
The WNBA Can Teach Male Athletes About Coming Out and Being Allies
Jason Collins Has “Reframed the Conversation” Around Sports, Blacks and Homophobia
Why has Jason Collins' faith been ignored while Tim Tebow's gets so much attention?
When My World Changed, Sports Stayed
- "India was never antisemitic. That was a plus, but it also had its minuses"
- The presentation of Islamic art at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Cultural Thieves or Political Liabilities? How Chinese Officials Viewed Foreign Archaeologists in Xinjiang
- On Turkish/Arabic/Bosnian/
- Travelling Zion: Hiking and Settler-Nationalism in pre-1948 Palestine
- Who is an Indian Citizen?
- Border choreography, bare bodies, and penal states
- The Asian African Heritage Trust
- Lessons from the Minaret
- The Enigma of the First Arabic Book Printed from Movable Type
- Greek diaspora intellectuals reflect on Cavafy
- An Egyptian in China: Ahmed Fahmy and the Making of 'World Christianities'
- The Maulana Who Loved Krishna
- Where are you from? Or, how I became a Pakistani
- On heritage and identity in Socotra
- Matrakç? Nasuh, 16th-century Ottoman polymath
- The history of Parsi settlement in India
- Dhow Cultures and the Indian Ocean: Cosmopolitanism, Commerce, and Islam
- Nag Hammadi Archive
- Mapping words for "cucumber"
- “The whole body is buried under debris. Only one part is sticking out: an ID card with its lace wrapped around the wrist and the fingers.”
- Tarlaba??: the Dusk
- “Egyptians are figuring out anew how they relate to one another and to the city they have always occupied without quite fully owning — figuring out how to create that city for themselves, politically and socially, as well as with bricks and mortar.”
- Don't Call It 'Turkish' Coffee, Unless, Of Course, It Is
- “As a side project, he decided to record the inner dialogues of people walking in New York City—to map part of the city’s thoughtscape, layered beneath its audible soundscape.”
- Our Radical Future: Cults, Utopias, and Rebellions of the 1890s
- Enchanted Geography #01: Insider Report
- A Pleasant Post-Apocalypse (in post-Soviet Central Asia)
- “But to leave is unthinkable. It is unthinkable in a place that teaches thinking.”
- Eve Sedgwick After Death
- May Day in ?stanbul: 72 detained, scores injured
- May Day in ?stanbul: picture of the day
- Big data as big brother.
- Apple as tax avoidance junkie.
- Guacamole for the rich; 79 cent faux-ritos for the poor.
- Dodd-Frank defended & defanged, so the status quo continues.
- Obama 2.0: Pritzer, Wheeler, Watt, Lew.
- Epic win: “ticking the latest trend boxes without giving in to the ennui of meaningless corporatism.”
- Austerity model employees: “bug-infested bunkhouse where they were housed for their 41-cents-an-hour jobs”
- Off-White like Dzhokhar
- Mommy, Daddy, Can I Have a Gun?
- Straight Theory: On the Ugliness of Niall Ferguson
- Post-Hysterics: Zadie Smith and the Fiction of Austerity
- A Tale of Two Communities: New Security Measures at USC Intensify Profiling of Lower-Income Youth of Color
- The value of bad ideas
- Incoherent Attachment and On Possibility
- Replace security with art